Tuesday 19 October 2010

Angry Brasstards: Youngblood Brass Band

A friend pointed me in the direction of this great brassy-scratchy Rage cover after I shared with him the funky steel stuff.

The Apples - Killing


Reminded me of the Youngblood Brass Band, a group of a dozen or so angry young guys with various skins to bang and tubes to blow. Saw them a few years ago touring thier 'Is That A Riot?' album in Cab Vol in Edinburgh, a dark wee tunnel of a club. They barely fitted on the stage, but blew us all away with such an energy and anger in their sound.

I'd say they are a jazzed-up, poetic Rage Against The Machine with brass instead of guitars. Here are a few faves on Youtube to see what I mean.

Youngblood Brass Band - Nuclear Summer


Youngblood Brass Band - March


Youngblood Brass Band - Dead Man Stomping


It mite be my woeful laptop speakers, but as explosive as these tunes sound, they are poor imitation of what it's like to have them go off live in your face. Go see them if they're ever around! Their Myspace says they're touring the UK over the next couple of weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment