Thursday 19 August 2010

Edionburgh Festival Gigs: After Dark @ Henry's Cellar Bar 2010/08/14

This should have been posted a while ago, but like I said, it's been a busy week! Ideally, I'd like to write about gigs before they happen as well as after, but, y'know, I'm having too much fun.

We do like After Dark, so because we had a free late weekend flyer for Henry's Cellar, it was clearly the right thing to do to go see them again!

The mercifully short act before was some terrible warbly singer-songwriter girl telling us how amazing it was to be here and what lovely people we are.

After Dark stepped to the stage more confidently than last time, and it was a better set overall. Different line up too, tho I don't think I've seen the same one twice tbh. Paul brought the congas again for a little latin flair in the rhythm, but they weren't without the drumkit where it was needed.

A most pleasant surpise was their new material. My fave song of the nite was one they called "P. Irate" or "P. I. Rate" or something like that, a fun wee accordion-driven pirate shanty which became a raucous singalong as soon as we learned the chorus: "Yo ho, me hearties, yo ho!" "YO HO!". About half way through they got shipwrecked on a very funky island, so it took another latin swing as they learned the local rhythms.

Love it every time they play their funked up laid back Snoop Dog cover.

Snoop Dog - Sensual Seduction


As ever, "I got my mojo working!" got all eight of us in the place on our feet and grooving and flailing to the end. It goes a little something like this classic Muddy Waters performance.

Muddy Waters - Got My Mojo Working


Holgate, the new guitarist, was a bit shy on some of the tracks since he only learned the material that day, but he sounded great on the mike singing a lovely blues song he knows. (I'll try to find out what it was.)

Hope they lay this stuff down to disc soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment