Tuesday 8 June 2010

Top Tune: My Sharona


Who was My Sharona?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8518794.stm

Spending the week in Edinburgh. Got here yesterday, and wasted little time before getting bawbagged in Roseburn off Dad's discount tinnies. So would write more today, but I'm feeling a little rough, you understand?

So for now I will share an interesting BBC article covering the history of and story behind a power pop hit and favorite of mine, "My Sharona". Apparently the  Knack's frontman died this week, so expect this to be radio-revived and fullpriced soon.

Never thought much about the lyrics of this one before reading the article; I always just liked the hook and the bounciness! Apparently it was written to woo an underage girl he fancied, and it worked. She ended up marrying him! "Such a dirty mind"...


Discovered the track as a teenager through my Dad's collection, which I intend to tear through this week while I have the chance.

Actually, I think I first heard it as a sample off Run DMC's classic "Raising Hell" album that he got me one birthday when I was discovering hiphop. Back when Fopp was a shop and people still bought CDs!

So here's the cheesy 80s-MTV-style vid for "It's Tricky", featuring the awesome porkpie hats and fat Adidas sneakers that were their trademark. Check the cameos from Penn and Teller!

Embedding is disallowed, so here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8ZeuWl8R0

And here instead is just the audio:


No comments:

Post a Comment