Saturday 5 June 2010

Teuchter Techno: Peatbog Faeries


Peatbog Faeries on Myspace Music


Just back from spending a few lovely days travelling round and exploring the beautiful Isle Of Skye. Made friends and enjoyed some picturesque and magical locations. But no trip for me is complete without some musical influence or exchange. So I introducted my travel budy to the essential Caravan Palace, and some funky skanky Fishbone, and picked up some good dub n hiphop playlists from German hostelmates featuring Dub Conspiracy and Peter Fox.

All good stuff, but hardly part of the local scene, which unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check out while I was there. But on the ferry from Skye to Uist there was in the CD rack a whole range of celtic- and folksy-looking stuff: Capercallie, Red Hot Chili Pipers... But the one to catch my eye was a Peatbog Faeries album called 'Croftwork'. I enjoyed the German proto-techno reference so I had to check out at least this group if no other.

So glad I did! Fucky-rocky-folk music, tcheuchter techo? I dunno what to call it but it's a great mix of traditional and moren musical sensibilities, and so danceable! My fave track on the Myspace the now is prob 'There's a girl behind the bar', which has an awesome synthy buildup before flowing into some frantic fiddle with a pumping bassline that's reminiscent of 'Two Tribes'. Some of the other stuff is more rock-leaning, some of it's balladic. The intro of 'Friend of Crazy Joe' was weirdly like the Spyro the Dragon soundtrack, but that might just be me.

Apparently these guys are playing at the Glasgow Oran Mor on June 24th. Never been to that venue before, but this would be a perfect chance to change that! Who's up for going?

No comments:

Post a Comment